As part of a $71 million major renovation to this federal courthouse, secure parking
was needed for judges and key staff. Completed in 1940, the historic Courthouse is
a major example of the Federal Art Deco style, employing classic, simple elements
and massing consistent with the design image of a United States Courthouse and the
era in which it was designed. The building previously housed U.S. District Court,
reopened after renovation as the new home for the Seattle office of the 9th U.S.
Circuit Court of Appeals.
The solution to secure parking was to construct an invisible underground parking
garage at the basement level (underneath the grass in the rendering). For security,
its entrance is protected by an active vehicle barrier system with sophisticated
hydraulics and integrated electronic controls provided by Justice Systems on a turnkey
The coiling doors and bollard hydraulic pump units contained local controllers. To
seamlessly integrate these systems, JSC provided an independent stand alone programmable
logic controller (PLC). The PLC simultaneously controlled all devices for vehicle
entry and exit without need for human intervention.
MAINTENANCE: Because of the complexity of the system, JSC provided a GE QuickPanel
to log all events while displaying the current state of all devices. By providing
instant diagnosis of each system element, this substantially reduced downtime.